Monday, April 9, 2012

[x] Ass: kicked.

Friday I had the rare opportunity to run at lunchtime. Normally I go home at lunchtime to help get Junior down for his nap, and then run at night after Junior goes to bed. However, Cupcake wanted to get a pizza and watch War Horse on Friday night so at high noon I hauled my old bones over to Rancho San Antonio to do a fartlek on the powerlines trail.

On the powerlines trail, after a little warmup hill to get the juices a-flowin', there are 5 climbs to the top before heading back down the high meadow trail. The climbs vary in length and grade, with the first being the longest and the last being the steepest. The plan was to work the climbs as hard as possible and recover on the short drops between the climbs.

As I was making my way up the climbs, working as hard as I could, I thought to myself, "Self...I don't think you're going any faster up these hills than you do when you're working a lot less hard. Are you really getting any sort of workout in besides a nice run in the hills?" It took me a day to find the answer to that question, which was a resounding "Yes!" It's Monday night, and I'm still sore from that motherfucker. Guess I was doing it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment