Thursday, April 26, 2012

My month off, week #1

Here's what's been happening with me during my self-imposed 'vacation' from running as I attempt to fix my POS knee.

Day 1: Wednesday 4/18/12

Watched "The Descendents" with Cupcake. Not bad. If I were the director of that movie, and I was a little bit more of an asshole than I already am, I would've made Clooney do about 50 takes of the scene where he's running through the neighborhood in flip flops. Just sayin'.

Day 2: Thursday 4/19/12

Saw my doctor, got x-rays, made a physical therapy appointment for Saturday. When the nurse entered my vitals into the computer, it told her to ask me two questions. Question One: Do I do a fair amount of aerobic exercise? This must pop up when the patient's pulse is low. Mine was 45 beats/minute. I told her I've been running between 50 and 60 miles a week. She then asked, "So that would be...something like...3 days a week? 30 minutes a day?" I told her 7 days a week, about an hour at a time. That seemed to satisfy her curiosity. Question Two: Do I drink more than 5 alcoholic beverages a day? My answer:  "You buying?"

Day 3:  Friday 4/20/12

Stayed home from work because Cupcake was pregnant, sick, and had an additional, 'unmentionable' medical issue.  I'll spare everyone the gory details of the issue, but I did get to hear Cupcake shout, "MY ASSHOLE FUCKING HURTS SO BAD!" at least twice.

Day 4:  Saturday 4/21/12

Biked home from the Toyota dealership after dropping off our gangsta Prius for the 10,000 mile service.  Then it was off to Kaiser Permanente for a group class on rehabbing my knee.  Now I've got some exercises for strengthening my hammies and glutes that I'll be doing every day for the rest of my life.  Yay?  Then it was back on the bike to pick up the Prius with the new 23" rimzzz.  Holla!

Day 5:  Sunday 4/22/12

La la la la...la la la la...Elmo's song! La la la la...la la la la...Elmo's song!

Day 6:  Monday 4/23/12

Finished installing the chandelier Cupcake bought months ago.  There was a lot going on with this project.  Climbing around in the attic, cutting holes in the ceiling, installing a new electrical box, wiring, patching drywall, and then actually hanging this sucker on the ceiling.  Celebrated by doing my physical therapy exercises.

Day 7:  Tuesday 4/24/12

Cupcake made meatball subs for dinner, and they were marvelous.  After the feast, I did my rehab exercises.  Stretching is part of the exercises.  That's right.  I like to live dangerously.  I may have felt something move in my knee as I was exiting a standing quad stretch.  This seems like it should be bad, but it didn't hurt and afterward it actually felt pretty good, so maybe it was a move from Paintown to Smoothsville?  Probably not, but maybe...just maybe.  If the knee is now suddenly better, I'll have to amend my 'stretching causes injuries' theory to 'stretching toggles injuries.'

No comments:

Post a Comment