Friday, March 9, 2012

Ludicrous Speed!

Another week, another trip to the track. Wednesday night I returned to Fremont High for a bunch of 200s and 400s. Once again, the track was open and no fences were climbed and no trespassing citations were issued. Once again, I was the only one out there. Once again I was reminded of how much speed I've lost in the past three and a half years.

Before I left the house there was a little drama. In preparation for my overnight trip to Minnesota for Grandma O's funeral, Cupcake tried to put Junior to bed. This is something she hadn't done since June 2011, when I took over the exclusive duties as part of Junior's sleep training. Results were mixed. No, Junior wouldn't go to sleep for his mama right away, but he did after a short period of screaming/crying. This never used to happen before. In the past, once he started crying, he would not stop for hours no matter what Cupcake or I tried. Good times.

Once I got to the track, the plan was to do some short, fast intervals with lots of recovery. 5 x (200m + 200m jog), 5 x (400m + 400m jog), 5 x (200m + 200m jog). This was the first time in a long time that I got up on my toes for some sprinting, and as expected the results landed somewhere between feeble and merely weak. I timed the quarters, which I ran all out, hard as I could, and they were all right about 75 seconds. That's a pace at which I once could cruise a 5k. No problem, though. I'm old, right? Maybe this will improve with training. Maybe that's just my new top end speed.

Junior slept through the night, and I woke up pretty sore Thursday morning. Yesterday's easy run home from work felt a bit gimpy, but in a good way. Tomorrow I race the Juana Run, which should be fun. After that, I'm gonna try to race once a month until Junior Jr. is born.

Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment