Sunday, May 20, 2012

Back to the Grind

And by 'grind' I don't really mean training.  I'm only running every other day for a little while, so that's not really much of a grind.  No, the grind I'm talking about is the hot, bone-on-arthritic-bone action that's happening in my left knee with every step.  Squibilly flabbiddy doo!

That may be overstating the severity of the pain, but it's definitely beyond nagging, beyond irritating, and rapidly approaching super-fucking-annoying.  As expected, the month off with physical therapy didn't help at all.  At least it was only a month.  I remember when, as a young man, I had a bout of IT band syndrome that made running very painful.  My doctor at the time gave me the whole "rest it and do these exercises and we'll see if it improves."  When it didn't fucking improve after 6 months the guy says, "Okay.  Here's a shot of cortizone."  Two weeks later my knee is fine.  Jesus Jackhammering Christ, Doc.  How 'bout busting out the needle a little sooner...like before I get overweight, out of shape, and slow from not running for six months?

On Wednesday I went back to the shoe nazi and got some new Wave Inspires, hoping that might help.   It didn't...and those motherfuckers cost $115 now.  I may have to adopt Fat Ricky's shoe buying strategy pretty soon (Go to the running shoe store and buy the second cheapest pair of Asics).  I don't know if it was the new shoes or whether my now-less-weak-than-before hammies have altered my stride, but now I've got pain in a new spot altogether on the same knee.  I'd wager it's tendonitis.  Whatever.  It's time to shut the fuck up and plow through it.  As of tonight I've started medicating with Ibuprofen and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Tomorrow morning is Bay to Breakers, my favorite road race ever, in beautiful San Francisco, CA.  I won't be participating this year, but I'll be sending out good vibes and admiration to all those who are drunk and/or naked on a public street at 8 o'clock on a Sunday morning.  Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment